John Port Spencer Academy had a wonderful evening at the Spring Concert last week when our incredibly talented students performed to a live audience once again. The event was outstanding and it felt so good to have a normal evening in school. We are now looking forward to the school production in July.
I am sure you would all like to join us in welcoming our first Ukrainian students to the Academy. Thank you to their sponsors and hosts who have provided a safe place for these young people. Over the coming months, we will continue to welcome more students from Ukraine into all year groups and look at ways to integrate the students and their families into the wider community.
On Friday 13th May, we have Spencer Superstars day. This will be a non-uniform day to raise funds for the foundation. The foundation has been set up by the Trust to support students who need financial assistance to enable them to reach their goals in and out of school. The grants are not means-tested so are available to all students.
Examples include :
- Sporting; such as representing their county/country in a given sporting discipline
- Artistic and creative; further opportunity for children with a passion for music, dance, drama, theatre and the visual arts
- Science, Tech and discovery; specific pursuit of intellectual exploration or advancing the use of technology
- Environment; making a contribution to environmental sustainability or corporate social responsibility
- Providing some seed funding for former students (within 2 years of leaving a Spencer Academy) who are entrepreneurial in spirit and developing an ethical, small business or service.
This list is not exhaustive but provides examples where the funding raised for the Foundation could then, through a bidding process, be gifted to students for training and development, specialised equipment, travel and sustenance, to support them in their passions. Recipients will share a report or review (this could be written, on film, or through the arts) of their experience and how the Foundation has supported their pursuit. This will form a Foundation ‘e-journal’, which will promote and celebrate their achievements. More information regarding applications for funding will be given in the near future.
Thank you for all your responses to the Uniform survey. We are looking at all options to reduce the cost of the uniform and will share these with a summary of responses in the newsletter at the end of May.
As we enter the exam season I would like to wish our students all the best and hope you are rewarded for all your efforts during the past few years.